Victoria’s Secret model Jasmine Tookes likes to push her style and her workouts to the limit. The mantra: Go big and go bold. “I’m a competitive person by nature,” Tookes says in SELF’s October issue. “In modeling I compete against myself. Every shoot, I try to get better. At the gym, I try and give it a little extra. If I’m supposed to do 15 push-ups, I want to do 16.”
Tookes is one half of the duo behind the new fitness Instagram account JoJa. (Model and workout buddy Josephine Skriver makes up the Jo in JoJa.) Together they are constantly sharing photos and videos of their fitness routines.
“I make sure to fit in 7 A.M. workouts, five days a week, for 1.5 hours,” Tookes says. “There’s always the temptation to skip. But no matter how hard it is, I know how good it makes you feel after.”
Here the VS Angel shares two of her favorite lower-body exercises—prepare to sweat!
1. Speed Skaters
“In my workouts, I often do this move—speed skaters,” says Tookes. “I like to add ankle weights.”
- Starting on the left side of your mat, squat slightly then jump to the right as far as you can, leading with and landing on your right foot.
- Jump back, leading and landing on just your left foot. Try to jump as far and as fast as you can while staying balanced.
2. High Jumps
“High jumps are an explosive workout,” says Tookes. “They get everything—legs, butt, cardio.”
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Lunge back with your right foot, bending both knees 90 degrees.
- Straighten your left leg and jump into the air while driving your right knee up in front of your body.
- Immediately lower right foot back into a lunge. Don’t forget to do both sides.
- If you find this move too challenging, start with a step up with knee lift.
Vest Vera Wang Collection. Top Only Hearts by Helena Stuart, $ 98. Bottom Marysia Swim, $ 189
SELF – Fitness