A new trend is born; drawn-on six packs.
Photo: Instagram @kimkardashian
Kim Kardashian’s abs seemed to come from nowhere. If you’ve been anywhere near the Internet in the last few months, you would have known she’s been working out. We’ve seen her in revealing outfits. Then, bam, there were amazing abs. Why isn’t it that easy for the rest of us?
When Kim shared yet another nude mirror selfie on September 15 many of us zeroed in on her flawless abs – possibly because we’ve seen the rest so many times before! “I just did a midnight spray tan, you guys,” she said in the video clip. “Tanorexic.”
The good news is those hot abs seemed to come from nowhere because they did… Well, actually, they came from a tanning artist who ‘painted’ them on.
Sobe Tan co-owner Fabiola Trujillo wrote on Facebook, “While I was spray tanning Kim between layers as she likes to get dark, she would go outside and took this snapchat while drying. Have to admit spray tan looks pretty awesome on her and even painted her abs while spraying her.”
Oops, the toned tanned cat is out of the ab fab bag.
We all know sunbaking is bad for us, but who doesn’t love a golden glow? Celebs including Mariah Carey, Jessica Alba, Megan Fox, Anna Paquin and Denise Richards, are all fans of a faux glow.
Male celebs were the first to try enhanced spray-tanned abs: hello Zac Efron. There are plenty of body makeup artists running around on movie sets ensuring muscles pop and glutes are ready for their close ups! Now, it’s arrived at salons and homes around the world.
A new trend is born; sculpted tans are the next big thing for us girls too…
Want to try it?
Do… ask someone else to do it – don’t even think about trying to airbrush yourself.
Don’t… expect miracles. Tanning isn’t going to magically transform a potbelly into perfectly sculpted amazing abs. If you have a flat stomach to begin with, airbrushing will shade your stomach and enhance what you have.
What to expect
Wearing paper pants (or not if you’re really brave like Kim), you’ll stand in front of a spray tan contour expert either in a salon or some come to your home.
Contouring involves using darker shades to specific areas creating the optical illusion of shadows. A regular spray tan can create a jawline, cleavage and “eyeshadow” which makes eyes look more deep set and brighter against tanned skin. Darkening the sides of the torso gives a slimming effect but you can’t fix tummy rolls!
The real thing
Of course, genuine toned abs don’t wash off in the shower so putting in the effort reaps longer lasting rewards.
Research from spine specialists has shown crunches are one of the main causes of back injuries in athletes and can throw your spine out of alignment.
Instead, try these exercises…
• Nose-to-knee crunch: get in plank position, hands shoulder-width apart on stability ball. Pull right knee up to chest. Hold for 1 second, return to plank position.
• Squat with offset: hold weight in right hand, feet shoulder-width apart. Lower into squat position keeping body upright, resisting the weight pulling in one direction. Keep knees over toes. Use glutes to raise back into start position.
• Matrix: use medicine ball, kneel on floor, knees hip-width apart. Lengthen spine, pressing ball against abs. Lean back as far as you can keeping knees planted. Hold reclined position for 3 seconds, use core to pull up to starting position.
• Pull-overs: Use dumbbells, lay on back, arms behind you. Extend legs at 45-degree angle. Bring arms up over chest, lift shoulders off mat while raising legs perpendicular to floor. Return to start, repeat without letting legs touch the floor.
• Body saw: Plank position, core tight, rock forwards onto toes until chin is over fingertips, return to start position.
fitness | body+soul